I made these collage frames a few years ago for the home office. They have not stood the test of time.
I used wire and hot glue. Slowly, some of the wire broke away from the hot glue and I was left with this:
Being the lazy person I am, I left it like this for at least a year. Maybe two. I finally got a bee in my bonnet a couple of weeks ago and took them all apart and put them back together again.
I swapped the wire for twine. I modeled the new frames after a Christmas card holder my talented sister-in-law made for me. Starting at the top, I wound the twine around the outside of the frame. This method leaves some unused rows of twine in the back of the frame. I thought it was neat and added some visual interest.
This redo wasn’t without disaster. I was halfway through the first one and realized I wasn’t winding tight enough. If I added the pictures, they’d just drag down the twine. Do over. Naturally, the second time I wound it as tight as I could. I forgot I was using cheapo Ikea frames. Putting that much pressure on the frame almost broke it. Do over. The third time, I kept it at medium tightness and it worked!
Some of the photos have faded a bit. I picked out some new ones to bump up the color and display more recent stuff.
All done! After this tuneup, I hope it holds up for another couple years!